article by Material Handling Network, used pallet rack typically doesn’t make sense unless it’s a straightforward situation. Oftentimes, they’re simply not be capable of handling your warehouse storage needs, and you end up paying more in the long run by trying to take a short cut to savings.
Before Buying Used RackAs pallet rack manufacturers, you might think we’re against buying used pallet rack in any situation. We’re not. If it makes sense & it can save you money, then we support it 100%. The 1st step to deciding if it’s a good idea or not is to understand your storage needs. We agree with the MHN article that a straightforward situation may be fine for a used pallet rack system. But before you buy, be sure to check on a few things
- Manufacture Date – this can effect everything from steel quality to seismic codes standards and more.
- Steel Quality – you need to know is this premium steel or commercial steel? Also request the psi range.
- Seismic Codes – does it meet current regulations, as of the date you purchase it?
- If you have specific seismic needs, we strongly recommend buying new rack that’s designed to meet those needs.
- Storage – how has the rack been stored & maintained?
- Repairs – have there been any repairs to the rack? If so, is all work documented?
- Still in Production – check to see if this particular pallet rack line is still being manufactured. If not, finding repair/replacement parts may be difficult.
- Can You See It – obviously buying anything used is a bit of a risk, but it’s much more so when you can’t visit the warehouse & see the rack yourself. In those cases, request images &/or video of the used pallet rack. Many used pallet rack distributors will provide that without you even asking.